A Buddhist image of Otagi Nenbutsu-ji Temple


<Otagi Nenbutsu-ji Temple>

The temple, originally called Otagi-ji Temple, was first built in

the Otagi District (The central part of present-day Kyoto)

by order of Emperor Shotoku in the latter half of the 8th century.

At the beginning of the Heian period (794-1192), the temple building

was washed away when the Kamo River flooded. The temple was

reestablished by Senkan Naigu (918-984), a priest of the Tendai sect,

and became a branch of Enryakuji, the Tendai temple complex on Mt. Hiei.

Over a period of three years beginning in 1922, the temple was transfered to

its present location in the Saga District, in order to preserve it.

The temple has a wonderful array of 1,200 carved stone figures of Rakan

(disciples of Shaka, the founder of Buddhism) made by people from various

parts of the country from 1981 to 1991 for the reconstruction of the temple.

By Otagi Nenbutsu-ji Temple HP


Photograph: Mr.S.Hirai of Daico MFG.OB

Go to top of this page



January (1)
March (1)
''13 ''12 ''11 ''10